Cross L Ranch
Clayton, New Mexico | $19,500,000
Acreage: 34,412.89 +/- Acres
28,009.42 +/- Deeded Acres & 6,403.47 +/- Acres State Lease
Location: Northeastern New Mexico
Clayton, New Mexico/ Union County
Offered by: Sam Middleton
LOCATION: The Cross L Ranch is located in the mesa country and Dry Cimarron Valley northwest of Clayton and east of Branson, Colorado, in Union County, in New Mexico Dept. of Fish and Game Unit 58.
HISTORY: The Cross L Ranch was founded in 1871 by brothers Nathan, Jim and William Hall. The brothers drove a herd of cattle up the Goodnight-Loving Trail from their ranch near San Saba, Texas to Colorado. On the way they crossed through the Cimarron Valley and fell in love with its beauty and productivity. They decided to one day make their home. That day came in 1871 when the brothers assembled 2,500 mother cows and drove their way to what would become the Cross L Ranch. The “White House” at the ranch headquarters was built in 1873.
PROPERTY DESCRIPTION: The Cross L Ranch has an extremely diverse terrain. The property is a combination of Dry Cimarron River bottom, wildlife filled canyons, and grama/buffalo grass mesa tops. State Highway 456 runs in an east/west direction through the central portion of the ranch, with approximately 40% of the property being to the north of the highway and the remaining 60% being to the south. This highway runs through the lower elevations of the property, being along Emery Vega and the Dry Cimarron River Bottom.
Immediately south of the highway and just to the north of the Dry Cimarron River Bottom, the ranch dramatically elevates to mesas and mesa points. It is estimated that approximately 35% of the ranch is comprised of high elevated mesas, with the remaining approximately 50% of the property being pinon juniper and ponderosa pine rim area and canyons.
The upper portions of the elevated mesas have a gently sloping and rolling terrain.
A large unnamed mesa is found on the northwest portion of the ranch, and another smaller mesa area, known as Island Mesa, is found on the northeast portion of the property. To the south of the highway, the largest mesa portion of the ranch is found on the southeast and far southwest portions of the ranch. Two smaller mesa points, known as River Mesa and Timber Mesa are located across canyons from the large mesa area. Numerous canyons drain towards the Dry Cimarron River Bottom.
The terrain of the mesa tops is gently rolling and considered strong for livestock production.
Cottonwood trees are scattered all along the Dry Cimarron River and as the ranch begins to gain elevation juniper, Pinon Pine, Mountain Oak brush and scattered areas of Ponderosa Pine become more common.
IMPROVEMENTS: The Cross L Ranch is very well improved. The headquarters is located in an attractive setting in the Dry Cimarron bottom.
The original Cross L Ranch house, or “White House”, was constructed by the Hall Brothers in 1873. This home includes 24-inch thick adobe walls and has been home to the ranch manager for many years. Adjacent to the manager’s home is a small bunk house and large insulated metal shop building.
The owner’s home is elevated above the other headquarter structures and offers excellent views of the surrounding meadow and distant mesas. This brick structure includes two bedrooms and two baths. Below the owner’s home is a very attractive adobe two-bedroom guest house. This structure was originally constructed in the late 1800’s.
At the north end of the headquarters is the Red Rock House. This is a two-story structure that contains six bedrooms and three baths.
The cattle working facilities on the Cross L Ranch are excellent. The headquarters includes the main shipping pens. The pens are of pipe and sucker rod construction with a hydraulic squeeze chute, scales and horse stalls with small apartment. There is also a good set of shipping pens on the upland plains on the southern part of the ranch.
WATER FEATURES: In addition to the Dry Cimarron River, the ranch is watered by five wells equipped with electric submersible pumps and one well with a solar pump. Depth to water ranges from approximately 50 feet to 300 feet. The ranch is improved with approximately 35 miles of buried waterline, which is used to transport well water over many areas of the ranch. There are approximately 35 drinking troughs that are located along this waterline network, and nine water storage reservoirs. In addition to the water wells and waterlines, several dirt tanks have been constructed in places. Past owners developed three springs.
HUNTING AND RECREATION: The wildlife features of the Cross L Ranch are excellent, and the ranch has not been heavily hunted in the past. Game species include Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Pronghorn Antelope, Turkey, etc.
The Cross L Ranch is located in New Mexico Big Game Unit 58. The ranch receives 5 either sex elk rifle land owner permits, 2 either sex elk archery permits, 8 cow elk permits and 5 buck pronghorn antelope permits. All hunting is reserved for a new owner in 2018.
The Cross L Ranch is over 80% deeded. The state lease acreage is found in four remote blocks, the majority of which are not accessible to public hunters.
RESOURCES: 50% of the seller’s owned minerals will be conveyed.
BROKER COMMENTS: Seldom does a ranch of this size and quality come on the market in this area of New Mexico. The ranch is offered turn key and will include all livestock and equipment. A detailed inventory list will be provided to a buyer at showing.
If you are looking for a quality, diverse, recreational hunting and livestock ranch, this offering deserves your attention.
PRICE: $750 per deeded acre or a total of $19,500,000
If you would like to schedule a visit to this remarkable, one of a kind ranch property, please give us a call. If you are looking for a ranch of this magnitude, but the Cross L Ranch doesn’t fit your needs, please call us and let one of our knowledgeable brokers assist you in finding a ranch that does.
Chas. S. Middleton and Son Licensed New Mexico Brokers Include: Sam Middleton, Charlie Middleton, Jim Welles, Dwain Nunez